Thursday 14 April 2011

"Do you need a bag?"

I thought I might write about how pressured it's become to be environmentally friendly and to start conforming to this 'organic' way of life. I currently have four different bins at my house and the only thing I'm completely sure of is, is that I throw rubbish into them, a few years ago my hamster died and I wasn't entirely sure what bin he had to go into?

Do I really want to at the end of  a meal to have to separate my rubbish like a homeless man foraging for scraps of food, perhaps the ideal solution would in fact be that, to get a homeless man to sort through the rubbish in return for the rejected domino pizza crust's I never eat, I know they provide that nice garlic dip to dunk your crusts into but I just don't like them.

My Council have just recently left the fourth bin at my house which is to be used for food waste and as they left their new eco friendly "made with 100% non-recyclable toxic plastic only friendly in colour bin" at my door it was accompanied two days later with a delightful £20 increase a month in council tax. With it getting a little bit tougher for all us to live I thought it might be a huge incentive for us to recycle if we seen that return in our council tax?

Recycling is saving our Council and Government money but when will we start to see that? Just recently Manchester City Council started an incentive for city recyclers to earn prizes for how much they recycle, you could win any number of prizes including ipods or tickets to a local club.Well I'm sorry whilst some of us barely struggle to live and the amount that we recycle may be limited due to fact that some people are struggling to complete a weekly shop, I don't see this as any type of incentive at all, as were fat cat John and his family who devour Marks and Spencer's Simply Food range every day will be recycling a lot more than our average working class family, unfair advantage for our over weight middle class friend, I think so.

"Oh thanks for this I-POD that I can't afford to put music on, or these free club tickets shall I wear my re-usable Tesco shopping bag to the event?"

How applicable are these prizes to the wider community? Lets really think long and hard about this and the solution really isn't that far away, people are struggling to live so the money our exhaustive recycling saves, give some of it back to us.

I would want our Council to look at showing us a type of eco tax refund every time they deliver a new statement to us, that way we can justify why it is exactly we recycle, I know that there is of course all the environmental benefits before anyone starts banging on about the god damn polar bears, but we all work for our own benefit and If I'm going to separate my  rubbish across four bins then the money my council save on this I would like to see a percentage of that refunded back to me on my next statement.

Money talks, especially to the absolute dregs of society who'll barely be able to open a bin lid never mind separate it across four different colours of bins. There is a clear reason why most of them don't work and it is possibly that their only contribution to society is the Jeremy Kyle entertainment they adore our television screens with but lest I digress here is a solution, why can't the under class who are currently on a permanent state holiday that we're all paying for separate my rubbish for me? I will admit I'll far from the make the job easy for them, I'll enjoy mixing a cocktail of rubbish with some bean juice poured in for good measure.

The point I'm trying to make is, that whilst I recognise the importance for us to be environmentally friendly and plan for the 'children of tomorrow' (and let's hope there intellect spans further than some of the re-medials leaving our education system at the minute) No one in this current climate is thinking about the future, their trying to live today and their scared of what tomorrow might bring, thousands of working class families are unwillingly failing to plan for tomorrow, we're paying the penalty of a poorly ran country and whilst we live in difficult times we're suppose to rest easy with the thought that the children of tomorrow won't have to, f**k that. I want a return on the mistakes my Council and Government have made today, whilst the amount I have to give you keeps growing and growing, the amount we get back gets less and less.

I don't think I will be recycling my rubbish across four bins, I don't have time. It's a catch 22, you take more money off me and I have to work harder to live. I want to see the benefit of my recycling today I don't care that little joey in 2050 will be skipping through an eco friendly city whilst the cast of Walt Disney accompany him singing an impromptu tune of how bloody fantastic the world is, I'll be nearly dead!

"Do you need a bag?"

"Yes please, it's the only free thing I'm getting right now"

No comments:

Post a Comment